Our creator has commanded us for fasting in the month of Ramadan.
In this month we can connect with His book Quran, and establish spiritual connection with the Creator with regular salah, and by giving Charity can establish connection with fellow humans and mend our relationships with family, friends and neighbours and seek forgiveness for ourselves and forgive others. And call our creator for our needs , He will answer our call.
God states in his book, 2.186, the month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur’an, a guidance for mankind, and clear proofs of the guidance, and the Criterion (of right and wrong).
شَہۡرُ رَمَضَانَ ٱلَّذِىٓ أُنزِلَ فِيهِ ٱلۡقُرۡءَانُ هُدً۬ى لِّلنَّاسِ وَبَيِّنَـٰتٍ۬ مِّنَ ٱلۡهُدَىٰ وَٱلۡفُرۡقَانِ
Seek Help From Him: God further declares,
And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. (2.186)
- وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِى عَنِّى فَإِنِّى قَرِيبٌۖ أُجِيبُ دَعۡوَةَ ٱلدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِۖ فَلۡيَسۡتَجِيبُواْ لِى
- وَلۡيُؤۡمِنُواْ بِى لَعَلَّهُمۡ يَرۡشُدُونَ (١٨٦)
Establishing connection with our Creator, we make sure we perform Isha salah in Jamah after breaking fast, an also after taking Suhr, we also perform Fajr in Jamah. Performing Tarawee is good but praying Isha and Fajr in Jamah more important for reward and pleasure of our Creator.
Zakat Al-Fitr: Also, we give charity $10 to $15 per person of our family, it purifies our fasting and also helps the needy in society to celebrate Eid Al-Fitr with good clothing and good food.
Zakat-Al-Mal: It is 2.5 % of money, jewellery, cash, stock, bonds, and other luxury items from one Ramadan to another Ramadan. Zakat means to purify and to grow. And distribute wealth from rich to needy and also an act of Ibadah.
Who need to give Zakat Al-Mal: Any one who has for one lunar year Gold of 87.48 gm or 612.369 gm of silver in jewellery, gold, silver , cash , stock, luxury items.
Giving Zakat Benefits us in many ways:
– Gaining the pleasure of Allah,
– Increase in wealth;
– Protection from losses;
– A cause for forgiveness and blessings,
– Safety from calamities;
– Protection from the wrath of Allah and from a bad death,
– will provide a shelter on the Day of Judgement,
– Security from seventy misfortunes;
– will serve as a shield from the fires of Jahannam,
– contributes to Barkat in wealth; and
– saves from fear and grief.
God Himself declares, And establish Salah, and pay Zakah ( purifies and increases wealth), and advance to Allah a goodly loan. And whatever good you will send ahead for your own-selves, you will find it with Allah much better in condition, and much greater in reward. And seek forgiveness from Allah. Indeed Allah is Most-Forgiving, Very-Merciful. (73.20)
وَأَقِيمُواْ ٱلصَّلَوٰةَ وَءَاتُواْ ٱلزَّكَوٰةَ وَأَقۡرِضُواْ ٱللَّهَ قَرۡضًا حَسَنً۬اۚ وَمَا تُقَدِّمُواْ لِأَنفُسِكُم مِّنۡ خَيۡرٍ۬ تَجِدُوهُ عِندَ ٱللَّهِ هُوَ خَيۡرً۬ا وَأَعۡظَمَ أَجۡرً۬اۚ وَٱسۡتَغۡفِرُواْ ٱللَّهَۖ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ غَفُورٌ۬ رَّحِيمُۢ (٢٠)
Whom We should give Zakat: 8 Types of People to Receive
- Fuqaraa: Those who own property in excess of basic necessities but below the value of Nisab.
- Masakeen: Persons of extreme poverty who possess no wealth whatsoever.
- Aamileen: (Zakat collector) Those persons who are appointed by an Islamic Head of State or Government to collect Zakat. It is not necessary that this be a needy person.
- Muallafatul Quloob: Those poor and needy persons who are given Zakat with the intentions of solidifying their hearts because they maybe recently converted to Islam or to bring them closer to Islam.
- Ar-Riqaab: slaves whose masters have agreed to set them free on a payment of a fixed amount. Zakat may be used to purchase their freedom.
- Ibnus-Sabeel: A traveler, who, whilst wealthy at his residence, is stranded and in need of financial assistance.
- Al Ghaarimeen: A person whose debts exceeds his assets and his net assets (after deducting his liabilities) is below the Nisab limit. To determine whether a person qualifies, his basic necessities of life (house, furniture, clothes, vehicle, etc.) will not be taken into account. It is conditional that the debts were not created for any un-Islamic or sinful purpose.
- Fi Sabeelillah: Those who are away from home in the path of Allah. Those in Jihaad, those seeking knowledge or a stranded Haji may be assist with Zakat if they are in need.
Benefits of Fasting in Ramadan
– Gaining Taqwaa
– Drawing closer to Allah: Reciting and contemplating on Quran, Itekaf
– Acquiring patience and strong will
– Striving for Ihsaan and staying away from riyaa’ (showing off)
– Refinement of manners, related to truthfulness and discharging trusts.
– One can change for the better (to repent to Him and seek His forgiveness)
– Being more charitable
– Sensing the unity of the Muslims
– Learning discipline and Timeliness
– Teaching the young to worship Allah (SWT)
Quran: Read: Iqrah, understand contemplate, propagate
God declared to prophet Muhamed in the first 5 verses of the Quran
Read: In the name of thy Lord Who created, (1) Created man from a clot. (2) Read: And thy Lord is the Most Bounteous, (3) Who teaches by the pen, (4) Teaches man that which he knew not. (5)
What are the duties of a Muslim to the Qur’an?
– Listen to a beautiful recitation of the Qur’an by a Qari and read a translation of its meaning.
– Believe the words of our creator Allah (SWT)
– Revealed to Nabi Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) in Arabic over a period of 23 years via angel Gibrail
– Learn and read it regularly, and understand it
-Practice it in day to day life, as Islam is a way of life and Quran shows the way by differentiating between the right and wrong
– Teach it to others and propagate the message of Quran
– Learning & Teaching the Quran makes one the best of the people:
– There are ten rewards for each letter we recite from the Qur’an:
– The Qur’an cleans the Rusted Hearts!
– Reading, memorizing and practicing the Qur’an will allow one to intercede for 10 persons on the Day of Judgment:
– Our position in Paradise is determined by the amount of Qur’an memorized in this life!
– The Qur’an will intercede for us on the Day of Judgment]
Forgive each other and start from a clean slate.
Allah swt states, in surah Tagabun, But if you pardon (them) and overlook, and forgive (their faults), then verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (64.14)
وَإِن تَعۡفُواْ وَتَصۡفَحُواْ وَتَغۡفِرُواْ فَإِنَّ ٱللَّهَ غَفُورٌ۬ رَّحِيمٌ (١٤) إِنَّمَآ أَمۡوَٲلُكُمۡ وَأَوۡلَـٰدُكُمۡ فِتۡنَةٌ۬ۚ وَٱللَّهُ عِندَهُ ۥۤ أَجۡرٌ عَظِيمٌ۬ (١٥)
Also we should follow what God Himself taught our father Adam (AHS) and mother Hawa (AHS) when they made a mistake after the devil provoked them,
Our Lord! We have wronged ourselves, and if you do not forgive us and have mercy upon us, we will surely be amongst the losers. (Al-A’raf:7.23)
رَبَّنَا ظَلَمْنَآ اَنْفُسَنَا وَإِنْ لَمْ تَغْفِرْ لَنَا وَتَرْحَمْنَا لَنَكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْخٰسِرِينَ